[JTL] Tie Opprresor Guide

eqsanctum

• Administrators
eqsanctum

From the Desk of an old Oppressor pilot....

There are two predominant loadouts that are commonly preferred by Oppressor pilots and several popular variations. The Oppressor is one of the few ships that has a viable crafted parts loadout that works very well in PVP.

The TIE oppressor is a multi role starfighter. Many people consider it merely a missile boat, however this is very untrue and leads many people to underestimate the Oppressor's strengths. While the Oppressor is the only fighter in game to boast three missile tubes, it is a very capable gunship and extremely capable in the dogfight if properly kitted and flown.

There are two main variations, a dogfighter or jouster setup. We will discuss both loadouts and tactics for each. Additionally, I will devote a small section of this guide to the Oppressor Crafted loadout, and briefly touch on a couple other loadouts that can be effective.

I will not go into RE'ing various parts as there are numerous guides to RE'ing and a significant portion of the pilots FAQ is devoted to this. There is no Right or Wrong way to set up an Oppressor, the ideas that I will discuss in this guide are tried and true loadouts and tactics that myself and other pilots employ or have employed over the years to become successful Oppressor pilots. This is a work in progress, I once had quite abit more but am trying to keep things simple so that the beginning Oppressor Pilot doesnt get overwhelmed

Edit: I will refer to turn style fighting as Dogfighting and Jousting as Jousting henceforthSMILEY Chaff Launcher (Standard in any smart PVPers ship build) My comments on this setup: While this can be a very lethal setup, I am of the school of pilots that believe that every possible weapon should be utilized. Leaving half of the oppressor's arsenal home is not what I consider sound tactical advise. However that said, the heavier guns can make someones day very bad. As you can see this build is also capable of running all 4th tier droid overloads, so underestimating its effectiveness based on its lack of launchers would be a mistake. This setup works very well for some, it just doesnt work for me.

There are two predominant loadouts that are commonly preferred by Oppressor pilots and several popular variations. The Oppressor is one of the few ships that has a viable crafted parts loadout that works very well in PVP.

The TIE oppressor is a multi role starfighter. Many people consider it merely a missile boat, however this is very untrue and leads many people to underestimate the Oppressor's strengths. While the Oppressor is the only fighter in game to boast three missile tubes, it is a very capable gunship and extremely capable in the dogfight if properly kitted and flown.

There are two main variations, a dogfighter or jouster setup. We will discuss both loadouts and tactics for each. Additionally, I will devote a small section of this guide to the Oppressor Crafted loadout, and briefly touch on a couple other loadouts that can be effective.

I will not go into RE'ing various parts as there are numerous guides to RE'ing and a significant portion of the pilots FAQ is devoted to this.

There is no Right or Wrong way to set up an Oppressor, the ideas that I will discuss in this guide are tried and true loadouts and tactics that myself and other pilots employ or have employed over the years to become successful Oppressor pilots.

This is a work in progress, I once had quite abit more but am trying to keep things simple so that the beginning Oppressor Pilot doesnt get overwhelmed

Edit: I will refer to turn style fighting as Dogfighting and Jousting as Jousting henceforth

The Space Superioity Oppressor (Dogfighter)

In this configuartion, the Oppressor is at its deadliest. Not only carrying a full load of missiles, the oppressor also is fitted optimally for turn style fights.

The loadout that most pilots attempt is as follows:

(2) RE'd Borstels/Tri Cannons

(3) Mark 2 Image Recs

RE'd Level 6 Capacitor <1200+ Energy/45+ Regen> {Most commonly used capacitor in Oppressors...some use level 2's some 4's but 6's will be found in the majority of builds. The drawback of Level 2 and 4 caps is the lower energy threshold and slower recharge rate, however some pilots will sacrafice shunting power for lower mass...I am not one of those}

RE'd Level 10 Engine <80+ YPR/100+ TS> OR Mark 5 117 TS 76 YP, or 105 TS 85+YP are the most common engine variations.

RE'd Level 7 Reactor

RE'd Level 8 Reward Shield <2555 F/B>

RE'd Level 8 Armor (Front) <2016 armor/10k or less mass>

RE'd Level 8 Rear armor <2016+ armor/ ~10k mass or less>

Mark 1 Chaff

Crafted Mark 1 Booster or Better.

This setup is designed to run all 4th tier overloads, namely WO4, EO4, RO4, CO4, CTSS4.

Tactics: Basically this is the all purpose setup... you have a moderate speed engine and a booster so it is possible to joust, however this designs strengths are in its maneuverability. The TIE Oppressor turns best at ~45% throttle. that said, you will barely EVER leave your throttle set at 45%. To best use the Oppressor's slide and maneuverability, you will take advantage of the famous pancake maneuver. To use said maneuver, You will be throttled up to 80-100%, drop your throttle to 20% and pull up on the stick. You will flip over immediately and then throttle to full again. Your speed slider should never get below 70% during the entire turn. To dogfight you will take advantage of this maneuver and the 45% speed setting to make quick turns. never hold a steady course and always keep a good amount of speed up. If you find yourself leaving your throttle low, you are about to die. To survive, you must keep a balance of speed and yet know when/how to throttle down to make quick turns. Another way to improve turn speed is by executing rolling turns: Roll in the direction you are turning to speed the turn. THis manuever will limit/Eliminate stalling. I reccomend using a joystick, as its inmpossible to take full advantage of the oppressor's slide using a keyboard and mouse.

During the dogfight, do not attempt to obtain missile locks. You will aquire them through out the fight...be prepared to fire when you hear the lock tones. A point blank missile launch is nearly impossible to chaff off at a range of 50 mketers or less. Fire link your blasters so that you are guaranteed a kill if you hit. Also, always make sure you target your opponents Reactor. Disabling the engines dopesnt always take an enemy out of the fight...nothing like getting blasted by a "disabled" ship. A failing that many Oppressor pilots have: They get into the mindset that they have to get missile locks and kills. An oppressor's guns are equally as important and should be used. Even if you cannot hit anything, alot of gunfire around messes with the enemy's nerves and makes him/her more prone to make mistakes.

In the Dogfighter style Oppressor, It is reccomended that you ignore most Awings. Awings, while deadly in packs are not that effective against an experience Oppressor pilot alone. Take out the Xwings/Bwings/Vaksais etc first. Then clean up the awings with well placed missile strikes. never target the Awings until the field is cleared of ships that can hurt you badly in a single shot. The average Awing cannot run WO4, and those that can *usually* will not be packing a heavier weapon than a level 6 or 7 RE'd. There is the exception to every rule, but generally Awings will not be able to score your armor in less than 3 shots if you are good with shunting and moving around. (Edit On Startsider over the past few months Awings that can pack WO4 have become the norm, treat Awings with respect, but again, ships with multiple guns are the greatest threat)

As a Dogfighting Oppressor in the Space Superioity role, your main goal is to keep the enemy's attention while your wingmen in interceptors and Aggressors clear the area. You can take alot more damage than they can so you will be the guy mixing it up. Your extremely lethal array of weapons will make any engaging enemy thik twice before flying in front of your guns as well. Very few ships can match an Oppressors firepower. The ships that can should be your first targets (As stated above)

There are very few drawbacks to an Oppressor set up as stated above. The only real problem you will have is mastering the throttle. Oppressors are very touchy and it takes many hours of stick time to become comfortable with the ship. This style of oppressor is effective in any situation, ranging from 1 on 1 combat to large scale group action, acting as a missile boat or a gunship.

After flying well over 350 combat hours in a TIE oppressor, I do NOT reccomend using any sort of front adjust. In an oppressor that is dogfighting, you will get hit about 70% in the front and 30% in the rear. I have suggested you place your heavier armor piece in the front to compensate for this. If you like to run front adjusted the one time you get hit in the rear will cure you of this error.

Some pilots like to sub out the heavier level 10 Engine or Mark 5's for a QID, I personally do not like to lose the YP or TS that you get from the heavier engines. An Oppressor neeeds every bit of YPR and Speed it can get.

Jouster Configuration:

The loadout that most jouster pilots attempt to achieve is as follows:

(2) RE'd Borstels/Tri Cannons

(3) Mark 3 Protons These pack considerably more punch than an Image Rec. Since the pilot is not going to be dogfighting often, these are a much better choice as a lock is easily attained on the approach vector, and only a single missile is needed to get through and disable the enemy targeet.

RE'd Level 6 Capacitor <1200+ Energy/45+ Regen>

Crafted mark 5 Engine, 119.5+ TS

RE'd Level 7 Reactor

RE'd Level 8 Reward Shield <2555 F/B>

RE'd Level 8 Armor (Front) <2016 armor/10k or less mass>

RE'd Level 8 Rear armor <2016+ armor/ ~10k mass or less>

Mark 1 Chaff

Crafted Mark 1 or Better (I prefer Mark 3's) <~2k Energy>

Jousting is a relatively easy tactic that most Oppressor pilots start out using... as you become more comfortable with your ship, you will usually move away from this tactic and move into the dogfighter style Oppressor as it is a much more versatile ship.

To Joust:

1. Choose your target and select its Reactor.

2. Approach target at high speed slowing to 50% throttle when you hit 1000 meter range

3. Move your joystick in concentric circles, clockwise or counterclockwise keeping the enemy target in your reticle. Reverse the circles randomly and jink up and down and side to side as well, however keep the target in the reticle. When you hit gun range open fire with your guns. Many times the enemy pilot will flinch before he is able to target you and fire.

4. When you have a lock, let loose with your missiles at 100 meter range or less.

5. Keep going, fire your booster and set your ship to max speed. keep going straight, jinking to keep from getting hit and keep going until you lose your pursuers, then swing around and rinse and repeat as needed.

a few tips: be on the lookout for speed modified Vaksai's, they will be quite deadly to a jouster caught unaware. learn to identify those that are flying them and deal with them on your first pass if you can. Know your target!!!! get to know who the big names are and take them out first, rather than regretting it later after one of them blows you out of the sky. For the jouster, I reccomend that you deal with the heavies first, IE: Xwings, Bwings KSE's. And finally, the cardinal rule: DON'T Joust Another Jouster!!! When you find yourself facing another jouster, its best to NOT go for locks or even bother firing on the Initial approach. They will be employing Jousting tactics against you. its not worth the armor/shield loss or even death b trying tot ake them out of the first pass. instead, throttle to your sweetspot and turn in their wake as they pass. use your speed to keep up with them and take them out from behind as they try to rocket away. Be careful of Advanced Xwings, their heavy firepower combined with the new Mark 5 engines make them nearly the threat a Vaksai is. The only other threat you will encounter is Awing Swarms. groups of 4 or 5 Awings all set to take you out through combined firepower. An Oppie is probably the most endangered ship in the Imperial fleet. A Jouster configuration should wait to engage until the rest of the fleet is well engaged, then sweep in from the sides of the fight attempting to catch the enemy unaware.

I do not reccoment front adjusting in this setup either.

I will use this space to briefly address the merits of the Oppressor using all crafted parts.

Reccomended loadout:

2 Level 7 Advanced blasters

3 Mark 3 Protons/Mark 2 Image Recs (Pilots choice)

Modified mark 5 Reactor, get as high gen as possible 18k or more.

Mark 4 Shields 1900 f/b

Mark 5 Engine 117 TS

Mark 3 or Mark 4 Capacirtor Go for Regen if possible

Mark 2 DI

Whatever armor fits...I usually go with dual mark 3 plates, or a mark 4 plate front and mark 2 Rear.

Mark 2 or Mark 3 Booster

Chaff

This loadout will have you capable of running WO2/3 and Eo4, CTSS4 and CO and RO4. I strongly reccomend using mark 3 Protons rather than the image Recs, due to the decreased damage output as you wont run WO4.. This setup should be employed as a jouster, however if forced to you should have enough maneuverability to pull of some basic maneuvers. But if yuo find yourself in a dogfight try to get away FAST. You will find that this setup is very effective at PVP, and is a good method to get yourself adjusted to flying an oppressor while you work on RE'ing the parts necessary to get into one of the other two builds. The drawback of this build is its energy consumtion, so replacing the reactor with a RCT-Z or level 7 high Gen reactor should be your first priority. Once you can safely run all the 4th tier overloads this ship becomes one of the deadliest ships on the field, even though you will be running primarily crafted parts.

Other Loadouts:

There are a few pilots who do not utilize the missile capability of the oppressor, electing instead to go for a gunship setup. There are a few gunship setups that have been used over the past couple years, the most popular one utilizes dual level 10 weapons. Keep in mind as with any loadout there will be variations but a level 10 gunship setup will most likely look something like this:

(2) Level 10 RE'd blasters

Level 6 or Level 8 RE'd capacitor (most pilots will want over 50 recharge and over 1400 energy to compensate for the high EPS requirements of level 10 guns)

Level 7 or 8 Reactor with 32-40k gen + (Depending on engine RED requirements)

Level 8 or 10 RE'd engine, Again I reccomend nothing less than 80 YPR and 100+ TS... Some pilots will sacrafice YPR for higher TS of the RE'd QID's. Another option is the Jouster 119+ TS crafted level 9 engine.

(2) Level 8 Armor plates, or a level 10/Level 8 setup depending on your mass.

Level 8 RE'd Reward shield (Most commonly used shield) or a level 10 RE'd Shield (Mass usually doesnt justify the additionally 2-300 points of protection)

Level 4 RE'd Booster (depending on mass and other kit choices you may be able to fit in a nice RE'd level SMILEY

Chaff Launcher (Standard in any smart PVPers ship build)

My comments on this setup: While this can be a very lethal setup, I am of the school of pilots that believe that every possible weapon should be utilized. Leaving half of the oppressor's arsenal home is not what I consider sound tactical advise. However that said, the heavier guns can make someones day very bad. As you can see this build is also capable of running all 4th tier droid overloads, so underestimating its effectiveness based on its lack of launchers would be a mistake. This setup works very well for some, it just doesnt work for me.