[JTL] Overall What to loot and not loot guide

eqsanctum

• Administrators
eqsanctum

Most of the following is work done by our departed friend, Kayl_Breinhar. After he left, I decided to keep his work alive and update it as stuff changes. May this comprehensive guide be helpfull to you all.

Level 1:

Reactors - this is about it for L1 loot - pretty much everything else is expendable. In this bracket you're looking for high-gen reactors (12-13k range). I have an L1 DXR REed to 14032.1 gen, so ALWAYS LOOK AT THESE BEFORE SELLING THEM. Most are crap, some are gems.

Also, STOP PUTTING YOUR STARTER SHIP PROTOTYPE COMPONENTS ON THE BAZAAR. They're WORTHLESS! You can't RE with them, you can't even sell them to the chassis dealer. Stop plugging up the bazaar listings with crap no one's gonna buy!

-----

Level 2:

Reactors - same as above - the best thing about L2s is that you can factor in mass. Anything from 1-1.2k and BELOW is good.

Capacitors - energy near to or around 950+, regen in the high 30s (38+)

Engines - keep your eyes out for high speed and high YPRs (in an L2, anything over 62 in Yaw or Pitch would be eyebrow-raising)

-----

Level 3:

Reactors - here you want to look for high hp in addition to high gen and low mass. Nothing else is really worth saving, but every so often you might get a phenomenal L3 cap, so always examine everything.

-----

Level 4: (Where it starts to get interesting, re: complicated)

Reactors - again, same principle. Reactors stay viable up to about L6. L8s are SOMETIMES good for heavy fighters/POBs (due to some phenomenal gens in the RCT-Z lines), but typically L1s to L4s are about the max you'll need in a regular ship. High gens are important here, and your masses should stick around 4k or preferably lower.

Capacitors - here's where, for the first time, reactor drain can be added into the equation. The lower, the better. To simplify this for you, there seem to be a specific "brand" of L4 cap that's good for everything you'd need:

* Gallant A1 - low masses, low drains

* Gallofree LT-22 - high regens

* Corellian Tuned Mark II & Special BJN-825s - high pools

* Qualdex Conservator Q3 - high regens, but LT-22s are usually better bets

(These are not 'sure things,' except in the case of the A1's, they're usually very decent mass and regen-wise.)

L4 caps are extremely valuable to Rebels and JSF-flying Imperials. The 40-45+ gen rates can put out more than enough juice to satisfy two WO3ed weapons. The figures you're looking for are any drains under about 750 (I've seen and have 550s), regens over 40, and pools in the thousands (1300s exist, I have one). Mass should be right around or UNDER 3k.

Engines - you're looking for pitch and yaw over 62, speed over about 68, and allocate the last one as needed (mass, drain, roll, or HP/Armor).

Boosters - this is one of my favorite and MOST FRUSTRATING CATEGORIES OF L4 COMPONENTS. One word of advice to REing shipwrights: I KNOW there's a glut of L4 boosters out there, but PLEASE QUIT WASTING THE GOOD ONES. There are three names you need to know in this category above all else:

* Mandalmotors M-Series

* Novaldex Hypernova

* Sienar Special Ion Booster

These three are VERY good L4s that have the energy storage of an L8 at an L4 level (1980.x pre-RE). If I had a credit for every one of these that were wasted on COMPLETE CRAP REs, I'd be a billionaire. DO NOT WASTE THESE.

These can be PRICELESS when REed **CORRECTLY**. First off, the two most important stats in L4 boosters are mass and burn rate. The three boosters above take care of drain, energy, and regen - no other [L4] booster in the game will do better on these stats than the above. For masses, if you see a booster with a 2xxx instead of a 3xxx or 4xxx, CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY. 2xxx-range boosters are EXTREMELY NICE. There's a 24xx L4 on the bazaar now, which was REed with CRAP. I CRY every single time I pass it. Secondmost important is burn. 145 and lower is your friend. I have a 140.0 L4 and it gives me 17 pure seconds of thrust. This is very nice.

Finally, one thing the three names above don't do best on is speed. There are 26.x pre-RE boosters out there. They're rare, but they DO exist. If you get anything UNDER 26.x, ditch it and feel content you're not giving me a migraine.

Message edited by CommTampers on 02/18/2007 10:46:36.

Part Two

The Nice Qualities of REed Armor:

"But I don't use armor! It takes up too much mass!" Pshaw. Armor your goddamned birds or that "pssh" sound you'll be hearing when your shields drop is money getting sucked out of your account for a new damned chassis when you decay yours down to 10/10. JTL was designed as a credit sink - never forget that.

(Aside: look at your ship's chassis the next time you're at a terminal - if it's anywhere under about 750 points, you need to either a) stop dying, or think about getting a new set of blueprints. Think of your chassis score as the last line of defense against death - it's like a stealth armor plate. It needs to be a high enough score that it'll soak up damage. 10/10 is asking to be fried like a shrimp at an Outback - it's doable if you're confident in your skills, but if you're confident in your skills, your damned chassis score shouldn't be THAT GODDAMNED LOW.)

There are only three levels of armor you need to concern yourselves with - L4, L6, and L8. These grades tend to drop the most phenomenal hp-to-weight ratios in the game. REed armor is suggested for MASTER PILOT USE ONLY, as understandably so, REed pieces are nigh impossible to duplicate, and using Deep Space for an Armor Body Shop is well worth the 30k prestige if you've got some nice * sheets.

Odd-numbered armor CAN be good, but I've found you have to go through a LOT of pieces before you find ones worth keeping. Also, don't forget your local shipwright if you've got the mass to spare - it's far less taxing mentally to use THEIR stuff, since you really have to fly a different way when using REed sheets vs. crated.

-----

L4: can RE to over 700hp (though 600s are a better number to shoot for), and when REed in conjunction with Sienar Flight Systems Light Military Grade Durasteel, will ALWAYS be at a weight of 1986.x. Shipwrights can't be that by a MILE for that mass, which makes this PERFECT for non-Heavy TIEs. 600-700hp will soak up about 5-6 Vette-class turret hits. This crap SAVED MY * on numerous occasions back when I was tied to my Advanced.

L5 armor plates: These can be handy for lighter fighters. L5 armor tends to drop a lot at T3 spawns. The goal is to break 1000 hitpoints, providing a lightweight safety net. They are known to reach 2k in mass, but anything low 3k and below is a keeper. Sometimes I [bon] have flown an awing with nothing but a L5 shield and my L5 armor slab for protection, and absorbed a WO4 borstel (cert8 gun hit. These can be suprisingly handy.

L6: can RE to over 1300hp with masses under 6k. These are IDEAL for new ships like the JSF and Bell - the Corellian Triplate always has a nice little hp of 1269.x that REs to the 1320.x range. Even if you just put *one* of these up front to provide a little turret insurance. These will take about 8-10 hits, maybe 11. I use L6 now to give myself a "dual-shielded" edge - it's like having a single-use shield under my already pretty substantial L8 reward. Not that I'd want to test it, but I should be able to take a Borstel-level hit with my setup as it is now with no component damage, thanks to this armor.

L7 armor: This is where hitpoint values start to take off. I've seen protection values over 1770, but those are rare. With patience and regular loot farming, it is possible to beat the protection values on the L6 reward plates. This goes from 1400 on up. Entry level mass starts in the low 7k range, but is known to go below 5k on rare occasions, sometimes as low as 3k. If you loot either, be sure to pair it with something equally uber.

L8: Nym's starmap quest rewards a nice 1920.x L8 sheet. L8 is far too damned heavy to fit to even a heavy fighter (except in rare circumstances). HOWEVER, you CAN find *phenomenally* low-mass L8 pieces (I've personally found a 9.5 and 12.7k piece), which make them IDEAL for new Heavy fighters, even if it's just a front-half piece.

L9 armor: Getting something worthwhile in this category is usually more of a headache than it's worth. That being said, it is possible to get protection values over 2k, and mass similar to the L8 range, though people can go a lifetime without ever looting the right stuff.

L10 armor: This is the big stuff. Highly popular in bombers, especially KSE Firesprays. They have been known to offer protection in the mid-2k range, though I've seen RE plates just a few points shy of 3k protection. For mass, look for stuff massing near 10k or so, since any high protection values shouldn't be wasted on something too heavy to use.

-----

I'll get to L5+ part guide soon enough, but figured I'd extoll the virtues of REed armor because I have a feeling people just pitch this stuff most of the time. Also, this keeps me from having to write about armor in the next and final part.

Also, regarding selling armor on the bazaar...

...guys, your USED (un-REed) PLATES with decay aren't worth 15-20000 credits. I'd buy them for 250-500 credits as RE fodder as you only really need two pieces for ANY armor (barring L1, but that stuff is crap anyway). When you put a 0.0/210.2 L4 piece on the bazaar for 20k, you're making the Baby Jesus (and more importantly, ME) cry.

The only exceptions to this rule are used (again, un-REed) low mass pieces.

Again, these are:

L4: Any Sienar Flight Systems Light Military Grade Durasteel. These are always ONE weight and no L4 slabs can beat it.

L6: Anything right around or (preferably) under 6k (3 and 4k pieces are rare, but exist).

L8: Anything preferably around 12-13k and under (yet if you've got a four-digit L8 piece, KEEP that baby for yourself and run the first phase of the Starmap quest, you'll thank me later).

Message edited by CommTampers on 02/18/2007 19:20:47.

+++PART THREE++++

L5:

These are the last reactors that are usefull until you reach the high gen L7s and L8s. Look out for 15k+ gen and low 5k mass. These can be usefull for single gun / RE engine fighters.

No, the L5s you need to watch out for are...

Weapons:

"Huh? Are you high, Jotun? L5s?!?!" No, I'm not high. A good REed L5 weapon (or two) can make a nugget pilot's second (and sometimes third) tier grind a LOT less painful. However, there's really just a simplistic form to follow for these (since it takes about seven guns to make an ideal weapon RE, and you only get five here):

Drain - anything under 2000, the lower, the better. WO3 might well be bugged, but one thing it DOES do as-intended is increase the drain of your current equipped weapon by about 1/3. (NOTE: THIS INCLUDES 'WEAPONS' SUCH AS MISSILE AND CHAFF LAUNCHERS - FACTOR THEM IN WHEN LOADING MULTIPLE WEAPONS) Put two 2300+ drain guns on a newbie's ship with a dinky reactor, and you're gonna get one unhappy flier when he tries to run WO3. That's 1/5.

Damage - I USED to say mass here, but that's not really a concern for ANYONE anymore with the new heavies. If you're putting twin L5s on a Dunelizard, mass MIGHT be a concern, but probably drain will be a bigger one. You want at least a 1k min with a 1.5-1.8k max. There's 2/5 (possibly 3/5 as well if you have to mate two guns to get the ideal spread).

Effs - on an odd level weapon, anything over .6xx is worth keeping. If you can't get one that excels in both, go for vs. Shields over vs. Armor. There's 3&4/5. Reason for vs. Shields is given the choice, it's quicker to de-shield and disable than destroy outright - the more damage that's dealt through the shields, the quicker you get to the components.

Finally, go with EPS over refire for #5 if in a two-gun ship, and refire over EPS if in a one-gunner. Better yet, you're not going to be using these long, so in a two-gunner, it's best to mix-and-match an EPS and refire-specialized gun to make it easier on a capacitor.

Level 6:

This is the first "biggie" level, yet in one category, it's only "big" for older (and new, richer) pilots.

Engines:

I've seen more good L6 engines wasted than pretty much any other piece of loot in this game. It makes you cry, seriously.

Simply put, the only way you're getting a pre-nerf L6 reward engine nowadays is by being very lucky, very miserly, or very friggin' rich. What takes skill (and immense PATIENCE) is finding the right loot to match up with one of these pretties.

Drain: You're looking for 1300s and 1400s. Remember EO3 and EO4 boost these values by a factor of 3x and 4x respectively - so the lower, the better. It's not fun when you overdraw a reactor.

Mass: Anything under about 9300 is a keeper. There's a certain someone with an 8510.5 pre-RE L6 out there who knows I'd give a one of two vital reproductive parts for it, so if you loot an L6 with an "8xxx" vs. "9xxx" or "1xxxx," you've got a VERY nice piece.

YPR: You want to reach 70.x, and to do that, you need an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of 67.4 for a pre-RE value. If the drain and mass suck, and NO values are at/above 67.4, by all means, get rid of it. Obviously, higher is better, and 67.4 YPR engines aren't worth big bucks. 69 and 70.x+ pre-RE engines, on the other hand...... :/

Speed: The L6 speed CAP appears to be 79.9 now. You probably won't find better, and if you do, you didn't loot it - someone else did, a LONG time ago. If you want a nice pre-nerfish engine nowadays, you have to look two levels higher (more on that later).

Capacitors:

L6s make EXCELLENT caps for heavy (not the newbie Heavies - I'm talking Kimos/X-Wings/etc.) fighters. As I'm probably running out of room for this section......

Drain: Again, you want at, around, or under 700. Reactor drain is bugged and doesn't RE, so it behooves you to look for the lowest drains possible on ANY part that requires power.

Mass: Nine words - Mon Calamari Modified Heavy and Qualdex Heavy Capacitor Array. These two "brands" seem to give the best masses of the L6 line - 8000s and 7000s (the latter half being rarer than hens' teeth). 6xxx's might be out there, but I've never seen one.

Energy: This is pretty self-explanatory - the higher, the better. 1200s or better, keep high 1100s, ditch the rest. Some rare drops have been known to hit near 1500. Keep that in mind if you want something uber.

Regen: Qualdex Conservator QX2s seem to [usually] have the best regens of all L6s. Keep anything over 46.x.

Weapons:

L6 weapons are, unit for unit, the most underappreciated/underrated weapon grade in the game. These things can be AMAZING support weapons for ANY class of fighter. They can kick the everloving crap out of an L7 on effectiveness, and give it a good run in the damage realm as well. These weapons go great with an L7 *or* L8 main. Where else are you going to get a 17-1800 to 25-2700 damage blaster with near .7xx effectiveness ratings with a mass under 10k? It's gravy that there are so many of these, too - which should satisfy you ship ricers who like "all the purdy colors."

Drain, once again...shouldn't be over 2k if you can help it. 1/6 - this is non-negotiable, because you'll want to keep this for a two-gun ship.

Mass, anything under 10k. Again, less important with Privateers and Rebels, but you don't want to half-* this if you can help it. 2/6.

With regards to damage, usually high-damage L6s are respectable on the mins as well. Given a choice, though - go with a high damage and try to find a high-min with another desirable stat to lessen the sting. 1700s and above for min, and 2600s and above for max are definite keepers here. 3&4/6

Effs run along the same lines as the L8s I mention in the next post - you want .64x or higher, but again, if you've gotta make a sacrifice, go for vs. Shields. over Armor.

L6s are ideal for "mate" weapons, so EPS is a little less important if you're using a Borstel or low-EPS L7. If you're using a 40+ cap and WO3, you could fire both weapons until the Second Coming and never run out of juice.

Refire is the S.O.S. - .40x or lower, or if you want a non-forced "staggered fire" effect, find a high-refire weapon and mate it with a .30x L7 or .37x-.38x L8. You won't be sorry.

Message edited by CommTampers on 02/18/2007 10:55:20.

+++PART FOUR+++

L7:

Reactors:

"Hey Jo, you said reactors weren't useful until L8!" Yeah, well...I'm a lying pr1ck, get over it. I'll keep this brief, though. Look at your L7 reactors. Some might surprise you in how good their gen rates are, and an L7 reactor's highest mass pretty much comes in where you'd want an L8 to be, so take a look at these before you pitch 'em.

The Slayn & Korpil "Vortex" Mk3 is the RCT-Z of the L7 category. Masses go down into the 13s on exceptional pieces, possibly lower.

Shields:

This is usually the Shipwright's domain, but good ol' Nym kinda stole this from them (provided you get/find good loot). Nym's Starmap quest (talked about extensively in the Game Guides forum, you just have to look) awards an L8/RE7 shield called the (wait for it) Protect-O Net. You can almost smell the 50s nostalgia coming off that name.

The plusses to these things are that SW-crafted L7 shields tend to suck power down more than a hobo sleeping in a liquor-laden boxcar (they can't help it, it's the design). Get the right shields, and you'll have a comparable 1800-1900hp shield with around an 18-2200 reactor drain vs. the ~3400 you'd get from a SW, probably with a higher regen to boot. Shields are pretty self-explanatory - use the L7 crafted shields on the vendor search as a benchmark, then take your best and reduce/enhance everything there by a multiple of .04 (4% - the bonus gained at RE6&7). Mass should be 17k or lower - anything under 16k should be treated as exceptional.

Weapons:

There are only really two weapons you need to concern yourself with here for damage:

Sienar Flight Systems "Boltdriver"

Ionic Pulse Weapon

Now, the first one is predictable. It's an Imperial-awarded weapon. It's pretty much always 1910.x-295x.x. The Ionic Pulse, awarded by Eyma during the CPG missions for the RG Interceptor/Vaksai/Heavy X-Wing, is a lot more chancy. SOME have gotten 3xxx+ IPWs, pilots like ME got CRAP. The one thing BOTH have in common are that they're rewards - you can't loot these.

Again, for the drain, think under 2k. The lower, the better. If you've got either of the two above weapons (provided your IPW is 2.9-3k+), your damages and hp/armor are taken care of, so you've got more elbow room to branch out with.

For mass, anything under 14k should be considered exceptional. Keep anything from 15.5k on down, though. 16k+ L7s are relatively common.

Effs should be anything over .6xx - odd-numbered weapons aren't exactly known for their heavy-hitting ability in this department, so 62-65% (post-RE) ain't half bad.

EPS should be 24 or lower, because you're looking for a refire in the pre-RE range of .33x to .32x or lower. You don't want a gun with a post-RE .30x refire rate taking 30 points every time it fires.

-----

L8:

Engines:

I think it's about the four millionth time I've mentioned it, but do the Starmap quest. Nym can reward an L8 with about 28k mass with a potential speed of up to 99.9 (damned friggin' dynamic rewards system).

But provided you get that sixty-million credit engine (I'm thinking in terms of Lee Majors, not real credits - put your tongues back in your heads), you want to mate it (like the L6) with parts that don't SUCK.

Drain gets a little less important here, because if you're running an L8 engine, chances are you've got a decent reactor loaded. Still, 1525-1450 and lower should be the magic range.

L8s with a mass of 25k or lower should NOT BE TOSSED.

As for PYR, you're IDEALLY shooting for a post-RE score of 75.x+, but 73-4 ain't bad, either. A good rule of thumb is to keep (as in, NOT SELL) any L8 with any PYR value over 70.x. To make a 75.0 score, the absolute minimum is a 71.5 engine.

Speed - the only engine that can give the Quantum Ion Drive a run for its money is the pre-nerf Haor-Chall Reward Engine, which most people probably friggin' sold to the chassis dealer, because I've seen VERY FEW of them. Do the Starmap quest. Chances are you won't regret it (unless you get an engine with a speed under 88.5 - the current speed of the POST-nerf Haor-Chall). [Edit by Bon: The quantum ion drive has an insane range. The current max is around 108, but anything over 100 is very rare and you should snatch any you see.]

Weapons:

Say hello to Mr. Borstel Disruptor, everyone. If you don't see him in your inventory or loot pack, DON'T RE ANY GODDAMNED L8 WEAPONS. You will not beat the damage or EPS of this nice-* reward blaster with any loot in this game, exceptional or not. Supposedly the Rebels have a Borstel doppleganger in the form of the Incom Tri-Cannon...either way, stop wasting these weapons...at least, stop wasting the GOOD ones.

Do I really have to repeat myself on the drain part again? Same crap applies - 2k or under. Mass, 27k or under, the lower, the better.

For Effs, .64x or higher pre-RE are keepers.

For refire, stick with .40x as your guide (you won't find many .39x L8s, but they do exist). Usually these will be your main gun, so you want it as close to about .37x as possible.

EPS is covered by the Borstel. If you don't have one, get one.

Reactors:

There's really only one type you have to look out for - the Kuat RCT-Z. These babies can have gen rates into the 3xxxx-4xxxx range, providing enough juice for a POB to run EO4, WO4, and CO4 without having to even touch reactor overload. If you get one of these wunder-reaktors (not a misspelling), try to find a reactor with a mass of around 23-24k to go with it.

Shields:

The Tier 4 reward shield is pretty much the end-all-be-all of this category. No loot will beat the shield's HP post-RE, which makes your job a LITTLE easier.

Stats to keep in mind:

Drain: 2200 and lower

Mass: 28k and lower

Regen: 14+

-----

L9 Guns:

Mass: keep anything under 40k, but shoot for 35k.

Drain: Keep anything under 2000. While it is possible to get under 1900, it is much harder since most people sell their L9 guns to that awful chassie dealer.

Damage: Ideally, a min damage of 2300 to 2400. Shoot for 3300 to 3500 for max damage.

Effectiveness mod: anything over .6xx is a keeper.

Refire: keep anthing under .33x

EPS: anything under 24.x is a keeper, but you can get really close to 20.0 if you have insane patience.

-----

Next - the heavy-hitters, the L10s.

Message edited by CommTampers on 02/18/2007 10:55:39.

+++FINAL PART+++

L10s:

Engines:

L10 engines used to be engines capable of 120+ speeds post-RE. Sadly, those days are gone - the Devs have taken them out. That doesn't mean these things still aren't useful.

Pretty much everything is static in relation to the L6s, with only the masses, YPRs, and speeds being different.

Mass - keep anything under 45k

YPR - anything at or over 75.x (to make 80.0 you need a min of 75.5). 80 pre-RE is the suggested minimum for a turnfighter jockey.

Speed - preferably as close to 90 as possible - you need about a 94 to make near 100, a theoretical 99.9 engine would make 105.89 (possible 105.9) top speed.

-----

Shields:

L10 shields - They used to be only viable in POBs, but that has been changed since the crafted elite shields have been buffed to provide nearly 10k f/b protection. Since then, some pilots have been able to put them to good use in heavies like the KSE Firespray, B-Wing, Krayt, and possibly the TIE Bomber. Running front adjust can keep lower level player weapons from punching through since the damage reduction was increased for PvP.

That being said:

Mass - anything in the low 40s.

Drain - as close to or under 2000 as you can get

HP - look for 25-2600 and higher (it'll be difficult to find better, trust me)

Regen - 16 and higher

-----

Weapons:

The big kahunas - ANOTHER zone where I see a lot of bad REing. Just because you get ten of these things doesn't mean you should RE them - use this as a benchmark:

Drain - 2k and lower...again...

Mass - low 40s

Min Damage - 2600 is a good floor. 2700 is even better. Beamrails have been known to have max around 2800, though they are rare values from the starmap quest.

Max Damage - 4000 and higher. Beamrails have been known to drop with 4900 max damage.

Effs - don't get rid of any .7xx weapons, the higher and closer to .8xx, the better. Armek Elites, Beamrails, and Hoersh & Kessel Modified Elite "Scorchers" have high vs shields needed to break .8xx post RE. The Hoershe & Kessel doubles as the only source for keeper vs. armor values, enough to break .8xx post RE.

EPS - you want under or as near to 30.0 as you can get

Refire - around .400 or lower (lowest I've seen and REed with is .395)

-----

Capacitors:

Since the weapon overloads were fixed, L10 capacitors have become very popular in multi-gun bombers, like the Bwing and Krayt, etc. Running CO4 on one of these permits you to better handle multiple L8 and L10 guns on weapon overload 4. Don't use this on a POB because the Elite Crafted and the Mining Grade Crafted caps can break 2000 energy and 100 recharge.

Drain: anything under 1k

Mass: low 40s, mid 30s.

Energy: the higher the better, don't settle for less than 1300. If you fail to break 1500, it's doing a job easily doable by a L6 or 8 capacitor. Shoot for the moon, IE 1700+ energy, but 1600 should suffice.

Regen: get one that's 55.x or higher. 56.7 is enough to break 60 after the RE bonus.

Message edited by CommTampers on 02/18/2007 10:57:37.

Hey Jo, Why Shouldn't I Just Use Shipwright-Made Blasters

It seems some people seem to operate under the ground game assumption that "more damage is always better."

Well, yeah - but it's done a bit differently in the void. Damage in space gets processed through the effectiveness of a weapon.

Naturally, when you're REing, for effectiveness, you want to look at specialized weapons. These would be any weapons with the names "Ion" and "Disruptor." These usually mean you're going to see a LOT better vs. stats for their given area of expertise. The reason it makes sense to get some REed weapons is that you pay a BIG price for using the crafted versions of these weapons.

Sure, you might get a .750 Ion or Disruptor, but you're gonna get about a .250 for armor. I don't know about you, but I don't like spending more than about 30 seconds on a fighter per kill, and using a weapon like this would be torture.

REed weapons alleviate this by making the effectiveness stat comprehensive based on the loot you use. If you RE an Ion Cannon and a Disruptor together, you get a weapon that's (more or less) equally as effective against armor and shielding. All of the benefits, none of the drawbacks, if you will.

"But what the hell do the numbers mean?" you might ask.

They're percentages.

For comparison's sake, let's take an L7 and L6 weapon.

The L6 has the following stats:

1800-2700, .680/.680

From the damage, let's take an average of the two. That's 2250.

Now, we take that 2250 (an average, each shot could fluctuate wildly) and calculate 68% of it. So, on average, our theoretical L6 weapon would be doing 1530 damage per hit at 68% efficiency - not bad for a gun that might weigh under 10k.

Now, for the L7.

Let's assume it's made with a Boltdriver, so a good stat range is:

1980-3071, .600/.600

Let's also assume that the theoretical pilot in question only did a LITTLE legwork in finding the parts for this RE; not really taking his time.

Average damage would be 2525.5. Running that through the .600 effectiveness, we come up with a figure of 1515.3.

HUH?!? How is it an L7 weapon is getting its * kicked by an L6 that weighs about 4-5k less. In short, damage ain't everything, take ALL stats into account.

Now, for academic reasons, lets run a SW-made L9 blaster (meaning equalized effectiveness) through the ringer:

2100-3500, .450/.450 (Never used a SW L9, so I'm just guesstimating)

2100+3500 = 5600/2 = 2800

2800 * .45 = 1260 avg. damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't quite know how to factor in refire, but obviously an L7 would ALWAYS beat the L6 there. You might get an extra shot out every five seconds with an L7 versus an L6, but hopefully this impresses on you that a higher level doesn't always mean higher performance.

NOTE: I also believe that Weapon Overload [3, in particular], in addition to increasing damage by 30%, also increases a weapon's effectiveness by 30% as well. So always keep that in mind when REing as well. On a .680, a 30% boost would give you a .884. That'd be an "ouch" any way you slice it.

Then factor in what happens with L10s, which can get above .75x pre-RE. My .832/.809 2950-5237 turns into a 3835-6808.1 1.081/1.051 monster after WO3.

Not only will 100% of the damage commute, but I'll get an extra 8.1 and 5.1% boost added ONTO the WO3 values, making the weapon in essence a 4145-7360 weapon against shielding, and a 4030-7155 vs. armor.

In PvP, only 75% of that damage would translate, but with this L10, I'd only NEED one shot, regardless of the target. In essence, it's like having a Mk1 Spacebomb launcher with unlimited ammo that shoots constantly at .372 with an EPS of 29.1.

To my knowledge, it's quite possibly the finest and deadliest starship weapon in the game, and I have it lent out to the person who gave me the weapon that was primarily integral to its design. Oh yeah, it weighs 39.1k, too - so it WOULD be possible to mount on a Heavy TIE or Heavy Fighter.

Happy flying, Rebels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, rather than just bumping this, I might as wellput a little tip up each time I do.

Did you know?

Engines might be disabled after you set up for a hyperspace jump, but boosters aren't. Set them to light before you enter the 5-1 countdown and you'll have max thrust during the jump.

Also, when coupled with the fact that there's a fixed hyperspace "exit" point in each system, one could use this to their advantage when trying to escape an unbalanced PvP engagement.

It's far easier to close on someone at a full stop than someone at 1400+ kph.

• Administrators
eqsanctum

NOTE: Since this is still going strong, I should tell you - read this entire thread. Not necessarily in one sitting, but I've got several case studies and other guides on the other pages, along with useful links. I occasionally get preachy - but if you find one of those, just skip over it.

Seriously, folks - ol' Colonel Breinhar needs to take out the ClueBat and knock some sense into some of you. I check the vendor search and planetary bazaar SEVERAL times each night looking for throwaways by y'all and I find a lot of stuff that's REed that REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN.

The following is a list of what you should KEEP, because it's what *I* look for, and thus, most everyone else will, too. This'll take a bit, so bear with me. I'll learn y'all yet...of course, this might be a tad self-defeating if you learn what NOT to put on the bazaar for 500 credits.

...personally, I'd rather pay more for phenomenal loot than a pittance for the frustration of seeing crap night after night on the bazaar.

+++PART ONE+++

Level 1:

Reactors - this is about it for L1 loot - pretty much everything else is expendable. In this bracket you're looking for high-gen reactors (12-13k range). I have an L1 DXR REed to 14032.1 gen, so ALWAYS LOOK AT THESE BEFORE SELLING THEM. Most are crap, some are gems.

Also, STOP PUTTING YOUR STARTER SHIP PROTOTYPE COMPONENTS ON THE BAZAAR. They're WORTHLESS! You can't RE with them, you can't even sell them to the chassis dealer. Stop plugging up the bazaar listings with crap no one's gonna buy!

-----

Level 2:

Reactors - same as above - the best thing about L2s is that you can factor in mass. Anything from 1-1.2k and BELOW is good.

Capacitors - energy near to or around 950+, regen in the high 30s (38+)

Engines - keep your eyes out for high speed and high YPRs (in an L2, anything over 62 in Yaw or Pitch would be eyebrow-raising)

-----

Level 3:

Reactors - here you want to look for high hp in addition to high gen and low mass. Nothing else is really worth saving, but every so often you might get a phenomenal L3 cap, so always examine everything.

-----

Level 4: (Where it starts to get interesting, re: complicated)

Reactors - again, same principle. Reactors stay viable up to about L6. L8s are SOMETIMES good for heavy fighters/POBs (due to some phenomenal gens in the RCT-Z lines), but typically L1s to L4s are about the max you'll need in a regular ship. High gens are important here, and your masses should stick around 4k or preferably lower.

Capacitors - here's where, for the first time, reactor drain can be added into the equation. The lower, the better. To simplify this for you, there seem to be a specific "brand" of L4 cap that's good for everything you'd need:

* Gallant A1 - low masses, low drains

* Gallofree LT-22 - high regens

* Corellian Tuned Mark II & Special BJN-825s - high pools

* Qualdex Conservator Q3 - high regens, but LT-22s are usually better bets

(These are not 'sure things,' except in the case of the A1's, they're usually very decent mass and regen-wise.)

L4 caps are extremely valuable to Rebels and JSF-flying Imperials. The 40-45+ gen rates can put out more than enough juice to satisfy two WO3ed weapons. The figures you're looking for are any drains under about 750 (I've seen and have 550s), regens over 40, and pools in the thousands (1300s exist, I have one). Mass should be right around or UNDER 3k.

Engines - you're looking for pitch and yaw over 62, speed over about 68, and allocate the last one as needed (mass, drain, roll, or HP/Armor).

Boosters - this is one of my favorite and MOST FRUSTRATING CATEGORIES OF L4 COMPONENTS. One word of advice to REing shipwrights: I KNOW there's a glut of L4 boosters out there, but PLEASE QUIT WASTING THE GOOD ONES. There are three names you need to know in this category above all else:

* Mandalmotors M-Series

* Novaldex Hypernova

* Sienar Special Ion Booster

These three are VERY good L4s that have the energy storage of an L8 at an L4 level (1980.x pre-RE). If I had a credit for every one of these that were wasted on COMPLETE CRAP REs, I'd be a billionaire. DO NOT WASTE THESE.

These can be PRICELESS when REed **CORRECTLY**. First off, the two most important stats in L4 boosters are mass and burn rate. The three boosters above take care of drain, energy, and regen - no other [L4] booster in the game will do better on these stats than the above. For masses, if you see a booster with a 2xxx instead of a 3xxx or 4xxx, CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELY. 2xxx-range boosters are EXTREMELY NICE. There's a 24xx L4 on the bazaar now, which was REed with CRAP. I CRY every single time I pass it. Secondmost important is burn. 145 and lower is your friend. I have a 140.0 L4 and it gives me 17 pure seconds of thrust. This is very nice.

Finally, one thing the three names above don't do best on is speed. There are 26.x pre-RE boosters out there. They're rare, but they DO exist. If you get anything UNDER 26.x, ditch it and feel content you're not giving me a migraine.

-----

That's all for now, because my fingers are getting tired. Next time around, we'll get into weapons in the higher levels, which is everyone's favorite subject.